We all know how difficult it can be to go out for a bite to eat or a drink when your dog is giving you their best ‘sad eyes’ and making you feel extremely guilty, but wouldn’t it be great to learn about some of the not so well-known dog friendly restaurants and bars?
As a dog owner, I am aware that it is easy to stick to the local dog-friendly pubs and restaurant but let me tell you about a few great places I have discovered during my time in Edinburgh. So here they are:
- The Scran & Scallie, Stockbridge: I must begin with a restaurant that I would have never expected to be dog friendly. I discovered this gem in Stockbridge last Mother’s Day when we were out for a walk in Inverleith park with the dogs and (not to my surprise), everywhere was booked up (silly me for not pre-booking). However, there was one table available with our name on it at The Scran & Scallie. They have an excellent menu which caters to everyone’s needs, there is a classy feel to the place and most importantly it is dog friendly. This place was an instant a hit with both me and my four-legged friend.
Recommendation – The Scrann & Scallie’s steak pie (Delicious)
- The Sheep Heid Inn, Duddingston: This lovely restaurant can be found behind Arthur’s seat. It is the perfect stop after your beautiful walk up the extinct volcano. I don’t think you will need an excuse to end your walk with some tasty food and a well-earned drink
Recommendation – The Apple and Bramble crumble accompanied by one of their great selection of teas or coffee
- The Compass, Leith: For the times you just fancy a drink in a nice bar and want to kill two birds with one stone, I would highly recommend the dog friendly pub, The Compass, found in Leith. This great wee find is swanky and modern and perfect for all occasions.
Recommendation – Edinburgh rhubarb & ginger gin
- The Whistle Stop Barber Shop, South Bridge: I know it can be harder to find dog-friendly bars on the South Side. However, and this great find on South Bridge is not to be missed. You can kick back and relax, or even catch up on those dreaded emails with plugs and USB chargers available under every table.
Recommendation – £5.95 weekday lunch deal, if your food is not with you within 15 minutes, lunch is on them!
- Falko, Bruntsfield: Lastly, I have to talk about a small café I came across one afternoon after a walk around the Pentlands. As I was driving back into town through Bruntsfield, I stopped in at Falko. This German café will not disappoint. They offer a huge range of food, from their amazing cakes and baked goods, to their homemade, delicious soups. Without a doubt, there is something on the menu that will tickle the fancy of every man, woman or dog. Not only do we get treated to their delicious breads and pastries, your dog will also receive treats… on a plate!! Talk about pampered pooches.
Recommendation – Anything, it is all fantastic.